Grants and funding

Scholarships, studentships and bursaries

Trinity Hall offers a number of studentships and bursaries for graduate students, some of which cover the full cost of one’s course of studies and others which contribute to it. More information on this subject can be found on the college website.

Travel grants and money for research

The amount available to you depends on your degree type, but College does have a non-competitive fund of money set aside for each graduate student to fund research-related expenses, including travel costs and conferences. Each Trinity Hall grad is entitled to the amount apportioned to their degree provided that the money is used for appropriate things. You must fill out a form and get a letter of support from your supervisor to prove this as well as write a report on how the money was spent after the spending occurs.

Let us stress again that these grants are not competitive: you do not have to beat out your peers for them. PhD students, Medics and Vet students can apply for up to £1500 over the course of their studies, MPhil students may request up to £450 during their year at Trinity Hall and Medics and Vets may request up to £600. You may request it all at once or as you need it throughout the years.

The College’s funds are for independent research-related activity, normally of the following kind:

  • Travel and accommodation for conferences; preference will be given to those presenting their own work
  • Medical or veterinary electives
  • Travel and accommodation for archival research
  • Up to £130 towards the cost of a University language course, if connected with research
  • Appointments offered by the Academic Development and Training for International Students (ADTIS) team

Further information, as well as the required forms, can be found on the college intranet

Please contact the Post-Graduate Administrator if you have any further questions. Remember, grants can only be given for costs that will be incurred in the future. Grants will not be given for travel or purchases that have already taken place.

Hardship funds

An application form and further particulars can be obtained from the Tutorial Office. You will also need to book an appointment with your Graduate Tutor to discuss your case.